SES History

 

 

History of Stewartsville Elementary School

Stewartsville has maintained a public school since 1850. The one room log building was located on the Mitchell place, and in 1900the site was moved to the Drewry farm. There, a two-room log schoolhouse was first built. There is no record of the faculty members at that time, but in 1903, James Feather and Miss Alice Reynolds taught in the building.

In 1904, a new site was found, and a two-room, frame house was built. This building was situated on the existing athletic field.

In 1912, a two-story building of four rooms with an auditorium was constructed and provided instruction for grades 1-7 and the first year of high school. At this time, there were three instructors at the school. In 1914, the first class graduated from Stewartsville School. Miss Mary Watson was the principal; and from 1912 to 1930, the school offered one to three years of high school.

In the fall of 1930, Bedford County consolidation of schools began, and students began to come to Stewartsville from other schools. The fourth year of high school was added. Mr. J. A. Johnson was also elected as principal during this year. One teacher for high school was hired as more consolidation of smaller schools took place, and bus service was implemented. The 1934 school year saw ten teachers and a principal. The school also became a fully accredited high school by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Enrollment in 1936 was 270 students.

The first full-time librarian, Miss Madeline Willis, was employed in 1940. The first lunch room was operated in 1934 with Miss Joyce Poole, home economics teacher, in charge until 1944.

In 1964, the further consolidation of schools in the county resulted in the building of Staunton River High School. This left Stewartsville as an elementary school with grades 1-7. The Bedford County School Board added a new addition to Stewartsville at this time. This consisted of a new library, new cafeteria, and four classrooms.

In 1979, a new classroom addition of eleven rooms was completed because of the ever-increasing enrollment. This year also saw the first special education program for the school.

Staunton River Middle School was completed in 1979. At this time Stewartsville became a K-5 school.

In 1991, the school underwent a major renovation and added a new library and six new classrooms. Included in the renovation was the air-conditioning of all instructional areas.

In 1999, opening of an additional Bedford County elementary school in Goodview, changed the attendance zone and significantly decreased the school membership.

For the opening of the 2011-2012 school year, the approximate enrollment at Stewartsville Elementary will be 430.